Google
 

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Teaming with Basebally Goodness

I was planning on writing a big article with JJ, but he couldn't do it because he had to go to the store and pick up more cranberry juice.

Anyway I figure I'll spend a little time talking about the most underrated sporting event of the year...the MLB Draft!!! Draft!!!!! Maybe I just like any draft way too much, maybe I just like baseball way too much, but I'm stoked about the baseball draft actually being on tv this year. I also noticed that outside of Baseball America there is virtually no body covering this thing. Never fear baseball fans, especially fans of shitty teams, Sports Bullies is here!

Each week up until the draft I'll take some time to go over a few prospects, rankings, yadda yadda...onto the good stuff.

I'm going to start off slow and gradually work my way up, I don't want to pull a hammy writing this stuff. Here's a look at the top 2 college hitters in this draft:

  1. Matt Wieters C Georgia Tech

Learn this name quick, because he could be starting for the Cubs in 2010, OK so you have some time to figure out if it's a "W" sound or a "V" ( I will reveal the answer in 2009.) But why is Wieters so good? Well as one scouting director put it, "Look, he's a switch-hitter, he can really hit, and he has huge power as well. What's not to like?" How many switch hitting catchers are there with real power? Not many, and this guy's legit. Wieters is currently hitting .355/.480/.606 for the Jackets with 56 walks to only 39 K's. His bat control and plate discipline are almost unprecedented for a 6'5'' catcher with power. Wieters is also known for being a defensively advanced catcher, with an outstanding arm. Over the last two seasons Weiters has stuck out just 71 times at the plate in 486 ABs, while striking out 67 in 72 inning as GT's closer. There are some downsides to this super stud prospect however, he is represented by the Antichrist, Scott Boras, which could result in a Brady Quinn like wait on Draft Day. Unlike Quinn, Wieters will still get paid like a top 5 pick, even if goes in the late teens. In a perfect Ranger fan world he's still there at #17...and we actually take him. M-Wie is taller than virtually every catcher ever. Most feel that at 6'5'' 230lbs there is simply too much pressure and force placed on the knees to allow for a long healthy career so he may switch positions down the road... but Mike Piazza is of similar size and I really can't think of a better comparison. When you think of Wieters think Piazza who can throw.

2. Matt LaPorta 1B Florida

LaPorta might only be #2 on my board and Billy Beane's, that was meant to be a compliment to the Gator slugger. Just look at his current numbers: .423/.579/.853. He gets on base 58% of the time... 58! I realize a lot of you don't pay that much attention to college baseball, and I know they use metal bats...but that is really freakin good! He's top 20 in the country in batting average and runs scored, top 5 in OBP, SLUG, and HRs. I've talked a lot about LaPorta's numbers but here is a very intriguing number...3. Three is how many more times Matt has been hit by pitch than he has struck out. He's been beaned 18 times and only whiffed 15. Patience, Power and Bat Control... I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again in this blog and again when he's raking in the show... Matt LaPorta can hit. Despite the glowing review I've just giving him, LaPorta is still seen as a last half of the first round pick. Scouts question his defensive ability at first base, and while he will never win a gold glove I do think he's good enough (and yes I have seen him play multiple times in person and half a dozen more on TV) More pressing are injury issues, oblique strains cost him most of his junior season. He's clearly healthy now... and even if he's not just think of what he can do when he finally does get back to 100%!!! Texas has picks, 17, 24, 35, 44, 54 and 81 in the first two rounds and while everyone knows the Rangers have a constant need for pitching this farm system is anemic when it comes to impact bats. If LaPorta is still there at #24 and they pass him up I may not blog again for a while because I'll probably be wanted for murder.

I should lay low for a while... I'll hit y'all up with some more knowledge when the coast is clear. Peace.

No comments: