Google
 

Friday, July 27, 2007

Lofton Thrice Well!

Max Ramirez is the next in line of young Latin catchers. Ramirez was on the World Roster for the Futures Game, but did not play. He has a very strong arm and walks a lot...two things I like from my catchers. He does strike out a lot, but he has yet to post an OBP under .408 in any of his minor league stops. He's far away from being big league ready, but with Victor Martinez entrenched at the 2 spot I wouldn't be shocked if the Indians moved him for big league help.

I wrote that when I thought the Rangers should target Maximillio Ramirez, along with Shin-Soo Choo, for Eric Gagne. Kudos to JD for getting Max for just Kenny Lofton.

I say "just Kenny Lofton" not because Lofton is a bad player, he's having a nice year, or because he'll provide no value to Cle...he'll provide good outfield defense when they play him left against righties, he'll let Grady Sizemore get a few days off, and let him slide down in the order so the Indians can get better use of his power.

I'm pleased the Rangers are able to get a catcher with a really good bat because Kenny has zero value to this team, long term.

Ramirez is hitting .303/.418/.505 in the Carolina league (where the average hitter has a 720 OPS, compared to Max's 923!) Scouts hate his defense but love his bat. He should be valuable even if he doesn't stick behind the plate. Shoot even if he never makes it...it's just Kenny Lofton!

Nice move JD! I'm glad I actually get to say that!

No comments: