Google
 

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Clusterf*ck in Atlanta

"Mike, why can't you just shoot up a strip club like everyone else?" - Roger Goodell

"No, no, no. See Commish you don't understand....they're just dogs!" - Vick's attorney, Clinton Portis

I give like 5-2 odds that that actual sequence plays out. Nothing would surprise me about this case anymore. It's far and away the sickest thing happen in the NFL since Ray Carruth.

I have a few problems with the way the NFL is handling this right now, #1 is that they're not handling it at all! For some reason everyone is taking a wait and see approach, even though this has been hanging over their heads since before the draft. I seem to remember Pac-Man Jones being suspended before he was indited, shouldn't they move faster on a higher profile case? I understand wanting to let due process run it's course, but why only on this case and none others? If I'm Pac-Man's representatives I'm filing another appeal right now.
Chris Mortenson on ESPN, who I like and greatly respect, said that the NFL will go easier on Vick because he's a "first time offender" My response, "Um....what?" I seem to remember a bottle-gate fiasco a little while back. Is Vick going to get off for running/financing a major dog fighting ring just because he bribed an airport security official? Mort continued that while he has had other incidents, like the bottle and flipping off his home town crowd (stay classy Vick), those weren't criminal offenses. Well the bottle thing went away pretty damn quick, hence my assumption that he bribed someone either that or they let him go because he's MICHAEL FREAKING VICK and he's really really good on my Madden team, but there's also evidence like this (look in his left hand) that he's a pot head, and last time I checked that was still against the law.
That leads me to my next point, this whole investigation started with Vick's cousin getting busted for dealing dog fights are always, ALWAYS combined with two other things; drugs and gambling. Two things that any major sport wants to distance itself from as much as possible. I don't mean to say that to try and take away the horrific nature of dog fighting, only to add to the criminal element...and it's something that I think is being overlooked.
Atlanta should use this as an excuse to get rid of Vick, the only reason they had him on their team was because he was very popular and marketable. Here's something else that's been overlooked HE'S A REALLY BAD NFL QUARTERBACK! It would behoove the Falcons to get rid of Vick from a football point of view. Now it would behoove the Falcons to get rid of Vick from a public relations/moral point of view. So why is he still on the team, salary cap?
They should never have traded away Matt Shaub, they shouldn't have traded up in the draft to get Vick in the first place. All time one sided trade? Vick for LaDainian Tomlinson and Drew Brees! Maybe two hall of famers (if Brees has several more seasons like his last few) for a guy that's going to go down in history as one of the most reviled characters the NFL has ever seen.
P.S. -- How screwed up is the entire Vick family... I mean, isn't Marcus the good one now?
P.P.S -- I call Bad Newz Kennels for my fantasy football name!

No comments: