Google
 

Monday, August 27, 2007

Been Busy

Hey there loyal reader...(s)?

We've been pretty busy this past weekend (like Lincoln hitting a light tower and ripping a whole in a guys glove playing softball) and will remain as such for a little while, but that's no reason not to provide you some infotainment (which shockingly is a real word.)

Jon Heyman offered up a few pearls of wisdom in his SI mailbag.

"It looks like you went through all the playoff-contending teams, and chose a "good" player from each. Let me ask you: If [Miguel] Cabrera were on a playoff-contender this season, would there be any doubt who the MVP was?-- Carolyn, Boca Raton, Fla.

Actually, you're right. That's exactly what I did, and how I came up with Prince Fielder as my NL MVP leader. His "good'' year is actually more than good, and the Brewers are right in the thick of the playoff race. While I understand your sentiments, I am more interested in "wins created'' than runs created. And the day I consider VORP is the day I get out of the business. The idea of the MVP is to honor the player who has had the biggest positive impact on the pennant races. I have been a big champion for [Hanley] Ramirez, but I would not consider him a true candidate to win the MVP award."

Couple notes Mr Heyman, the MVP is was not designed "to honor the player who has had the biggest positive impact on the pennant races." There are "wins created" metrics that you can look at and they are a great way to judge which player has been the most valuable.

Just FYI Hanley Ramirez is currently hitting .332/.389/.561 with 41 steals, VORP 70.8 with 6.6 WARP 1

Miggy Cabrera .321/.400/.590 with 30 HRs, VORP 62.2 and 8.1 WARP 1

Prince Fielder .281/.376/.604 39 HRs, VORP 49.8 with 5.1 WARP 1

**Hanley Ramirez has the highest VORP because he plays shortstop and gets bonus points for it (there aren't very many SS who can hit like he can) but he gets points taken off of WARP because it calculates defense as well (and he doesn't play SS very well...but he is very young and athletic so there's reason to believe he can get better)

***********

When this story first showed up on ESPN.com the title read, "American Gay wins 100 meters" to which I wondered aloud if Carl Lewis had made a comeback.

Side note, In searching for the previous story I found that when you search for the word "gay" at ESPN.com the first thing to pop up is a link for the Nashville Predators...I guess the reason that national sports mediums don't pay attention to hockey is because they're homophobic?

***********

Off Topic: Man I know You Me and Dupree was bad but come on dude!

and last but not least who says you can't have brains AND beauty?

No comments: